Sunday, November 22, 2009

I'm kind of a cheater...

So some of you may have noticed I blanked on my post for yesterday. Just forgot.
However, this nice little "Post Options" tab allows me to be a bit of a cheater and back date the post time. So, it appears to you as if I posted this Sunday at 3:53 PM, when in reality it's 10:15 AM on Monday the 23rd...Gotcha!!
Who cares! My main goal is to make 30 posts in 30 days..and I won't give up after missing a day!
While I'm confessing, I've got another cheating story to share. I'm sure I will embarass and let down my poor mom, but no worry, she's already heard this from my own lips so I'm not leaking any big news via the blogworld that she doesn't already know.
In 5th grade mom decided to homeschool my brother & I...save your home school comments for another time, that's a whole 'notha topic!
Anyway, so we lived in Denver when I was home schooled and we had a basement living area perfect for a school room. Mom was a teacher before she had her brood of kids, so she knew what she was doing and set up shop. She was a great teacher - creative, patient & even fun, but Mom was also a little bit oblivious. See Mom was also a coordinator for the church prayer chain , and we're talking phone prayer chain since this was before the emailing/texting age. So, anytime a prayer request was called in to Mom, she had to go down the list and call her people who would then call their people who then called more people. Kind of like a pyramid scheme, but for prayers...
You can imagine this meant a good amount of time on the phone some days since she had to share the details of each situation with 3-4 prayer chaining women. So, Mom being the good and dedicated teacher she was, would go upstairs to use the phone so as not to distract my brother and I from our work. Problem is, when Mom went upstairs she didn't take her teacher answer books with her, and it didn't take long for classmate brother Brad and I to discover that we'd finish our work a heck of a lot faster if we just pulled out the answer books, filled in the blanks and moved on with our lives! Once we had falsely completed our assignments we'd mosey on over to the living room, put in a good DC Talk in Concert / Amy Grant Live tape, or find something along the lines of Power Rangers/Walker Texas Ranger on TV to pass the time with. We were careful to keep the volume low, listening for the sound of the basement door to open, at which point we'd smack the TV OFF button & fly back over to the school room. We'd slide into our desk chairs and pick up a pencil, pretending to scribble in the last of our answers just as mom walked down the stairs to check on us. We were smooth...
Mom claims to have had no knowledge of these events going down, and was shocked & saddened 2 or 3 years ago when I told her about the events that occured during her prayer chain calls. My classmate brother Brad to this day holds to the lie that he never cheated...or never admitted to cheating...whatever that means. All I'm saying is if you put either one of us in front of a 5th grade science or math worksheet, I'd bet niether of us would pass with flying colors.
I'm Sarah, and I cheated.
Sorry Mom.

Anybody else have a good childhood cheating story?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I guess you're NOT smarter than a 5th grader. I thought about apologizing for failing both of you, but then decided that I didn't fail. I just let you learn a lesson that has stuck with you for life. Would you do it all over again? Probably. But you KNOW it was wrong and that's more than some kids these days. I'm very proud of you because you overcame despite it all. Ha!

Lindsay said...

that story is too funny!!

Kasey Joy said...

I remember being in 6th grade and having some assignment where we had to read 2 stories and answer the questions about it. I remember feeling like there was no way we had enough time to read both stories and answer all the questions, so the guy next to me & I each did one story and swapped answers. Of course, we were super stealth and switched just enough answers to make sure that we didn't get the same grade and get caught. I'm still not sure how she knew, but sure enough the teacher called us both up to her desk and asked if we had switched answers. I was petrified of getting caught and was sure that she was going to send us both to the office and that we'd be suspended...oh little naive goody goody that I was! Nope, she just gave us a "0" for the assignment. That, I could handle. You can rest assured that's just about the only time I can remember blatantly cheating...gtting caught cured me for life!

Unknown said...

LOVE that story! Too funny!! Ironic how y'all would cheat to finish more quickly in order to listen to some DC talk! In college when Greg was pledging I took a theater test for him. The teacher divided us all up by last names and I sat with the "R's"...I remember people who knew my name looking at with crazy judgemental looks :-) Also I would sit Greg's aasigned seat for Packard Physics, all the TA needed to take roll was a warm body. Okay after writing this I realize that it was kinda cute for you and Brad when you were ten and just plain wrong for Greg and I to cheat in college! Oops!