Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Design Dilemma

For the two years I've lived in my home, I've had a major design dilemma. My Front Room.
In the model version of my home it's a dining room, but since I don't really need that I ended up putting my piano in the front room. A few months later I got a fun rug for the floor, I found a really pretty chandelier from Pottery Barn to replace the low hanging dining room-esque fixture I had, and this summer I got a great brown couch to go in the room. I chose a paint color from the rug, which I have to say I don't really love, so someday I think I'll repaint a more neutral tan/mocha. Then there's the wall above the couch. As of my last post the room looked like this:
No tables, no wall decor. And it drove me NUTS! Luckily in the fall my new roommate brought with her a great round coffee table, and a cute little side table that look great in the room! I added some flowers, a few nick knacks, and still had the wall to do. I had in my mind some grand, creative, unique design...but as time went on I just wanted something on that wall! I blame the fact that I never sit in the front room on the 'unfinished' feel it has, so two weeks ago I decided to get it done! I browsed at several antique stores, searched the design blogs, and finally decided on a simple shelf to be centered above the sofa. It's nothing grand, but the shelf holds a really fun treble clef, a few cute photos of those that live there, and a fun R I saw at an antique store, but then discovered to be currently on sale at Hobby Lobby. (No worries, I bought it at Hobs Lobs for 50% off!)
I envision some lamps in the room someday, a cute chair opposite the couch, and maybe a few more decorative items or smaller shelves staggered on the wall, but for now I'm just glad to not have to stare at an empty wall every time I walk through. For me that's the fun of design, I like it now, and once I don't like it I can re-do it! So, for now here's the "Front Room" Come over and enjoy a cup of coffee in it, won't you?!? I promise to kick the pictured dog off couch if you do... :)

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

looks great! I got that treble clef from PB for Christmas! love it!!