Tuesday, September 14, 2010

We Need To Talk...

I want to talk about something that's heavy on my mind.

Human Trafficking.

I've been naive to believe that this is only a problem in corrupt countries far from the place I call home. I've been wrong to think that there's nothing I can do that will make a difference.

Over the past few months my eyes have been opened to horrific things that are happening only 10 miles from my happy, family friendly, seemingly perfect suburb.

Did you know...

~The FBI says Human Trafficking is the #1 criminal industry in the world.

~An estimated 600,000-800,000 people are smuggled into the US each year for trafficking purposes.

~80% of these victims are women and young children.

~Houston is known as the sex capital of the United States.

Are you uncomfortable yet?

I am.

I'm uncomfortable with the fact that young girls are enslaved in 'massage parlors' where they're raped as many as 20 times a day for profit that goes straight to a pimp.

I'm uncomfortable with the fact that girls are being taken from their communities, and within 24 hours are across our borders in countries where they cannot communicate due to language barriers...and we never hear from them again.

I'm uncomfortable with the fact that our police departments dismiss them as "run-aways."

I'm uncomfortable with the fact that our entire country only has about 44 beds to house those who are rescued from this sickening industry.

44.

Isaiah 42:16 says
"I will lead the blind by a way they do not know, in paths they do not know I will guide them. I will make darkness into light before them and rugged places into plains. These are the things I will do, and I will not leave them undone."

If God promises to put and end to their darkness, shouldn't we want to do the same???

The church must get involved in ministries that are fighting the HUGE problem that is human trafficking.

This weekend we have a chance to raise awareness, and raise money to bring hope to those who are enslaved.

Just Run for a Just Cause.
A 5k or 1 mile family fun run/walk
September 18, 2010. 8:00 AM
Details Here:


We CAN make a difference, and God is calling us to bring his light into the darkness!!!
Hope to see you there!

1 comment:

Elyse said...

Thank you Sarah. I became aware of just how horrific and current human trafficking is only a few months ago. I am praying that more and more people do find out about it. I know there are a couple organizations that work over seas with boys and girls taken out of it, which is great but even knowing the numbers can't wrap my brain around that fact that it happens in the states. Sobering thoughts.