Friday, September 10, 2010

Sprinkles vs. Crave

There's a sweet feud going on in our country as bakers everywhere are competing for the title of 'Best Cupcake Bakery'. Two of the top contenders in Houston are nationally known Sprinkles Cupcakes and locally born Crave Cupcakes. For a while now I've been wanting to see what all the fuss is about and make my own decision about which bakery bakes better, so I arranged a taste testing.
My first stop was Sprinkles. I have to say this place won me over in the atmosphere category. Though it's smaller than Crave, it's all around cuter, cozier and more quaint. I was so distracted by all the cupcake flavors I forgot to take a picture, but I found the one above on their website.

Next I headed a few miles west to Crave Cupcakes. The vibe is a little retro, and in my opinion kind of uninviting. However the competition isn't who has the coolest decor, it's about the cupcakes people! (Photo taken from Crave.)

For our taste testing I purchased a chocolate cupcake with vanilla icing, and a strawberry cupcake from both bakeries.

Once I got home we poured ourselves some milk shots to help 'cleanse the palette' between bites, and we got down to business.

A few comparisons to begin:
Prices are the same at Crave & Sprinkles at $3.25/cupcake.
Crave's cupcakes were slightly larger than Sprinkles'.
Each bakery has a cute distinct topper, Crave's is their signature stand mixer, Sprinkles uses a color coordinating dot.

Both make really yummy cupcakes....

However this was a contest...

and the winner is...

Sprinkles!
We felt that Sprinkles' cupcakes were much more moist and had richer, smoother, velvety frosting.

But....

there's a twist....

Truth be told, as good as both Crave and Sprinkles cupcakes were....we truly preferred a signature cupcake from our local Ooh La La Dessert Boutique!

Ooh La La makes a bigger, cheaper, tastier cupcake and we just can't find anything better!

2 comments:

Elyse said...

Our next outing will have to be Oh La La then. I'm in the mood for cup cakes :)

Kasey Joy said...

No stinkin' way! I went to Austin last week and tried "Hey Cupcake." It was yummy, but the icing was a bit sweet. I just declared earlier this week that it is my personal cruisade to do just as you have done and become an authority on the best cupcake in the Houston metroplex. I'll let you know what my colclusion is. Also, let's hang out soon!