Sunday, February 8, 2009

Jenni on the block

Announcement time! My long awaited roommate has arrived! I have lived on my own for a year now and realized that although time to myself is good and necessary, having people around is also good and necessary. So, these past few months I've been getting really excited and clearing space for one of my oldest friends to move in. I give you.....JENNIFER ROVELL!


For those of you who are new to my life, or who just happened to meet me after the year 2002, here's a recap on how Jennifer and I met, became BFF's and have now become roommates.

Our story begins in 1998 when my family moved to Texas: I began attending the local junior high- GO BULLDOGS! One day realize that the girl named Elyse who sits in front of me in English class is a familiar face from the church we attended in Chicago, and wahlah....I have A friend. One week later Jennifer moves to the same school from Indiana, where she has lived her entire life. She (being a first time mover) is looking for friends, and as it turns out she and I have 8 of our 9 classes together. So, Jennifer thinks to herself, I'll just follow this girl around and we'll become friends....a few sleepovers, trips to the movie theatre and school projects later she's right. 

We're best friends, and with Elyse in the mix we have successfully formed a group to stumble through our awkward junior high experiences with.  Fast forward 5 years and we've been through a million things together such as:

 learning to drive

                                  major obsessions over members of one specific boy band

shopping for prom dresses

taking our first road trip without parents,
 and walking side by side to receive our high school diplomas. 

I will never forget a few months later the morning they left to drive to Missouri and move into their dorms at Ozark Christian College. It was a week before I'd have to leave for Baylor and I got up early to meet them at Starbucks for one last pow wow during which we'd say the dreaded good-byes. I came home after they left, crawled into my bed and cried like a baby. I was so sad my best friends were leaving, and that they were starting their college lives togehter while I was heading to Waco alone. Of course I was excited about Baylor, but I was mourning the fact they'd be 10 hours away.
We saw each other in the summer and at Christmas and there were also a couple trips back and forth to see each other at school. 

5 years passed until we lived in the same state and I was really starting to feel like I didn't know if we'd ever live close again. So you can imagine how excited I was when Jenni decided to move back to Houston in December of 2007. That month we celebrated as our best friend Elyse got married, and became Mrs. Squibb!

The next month I moved on my own where I had already signed a lease on a one bedroom apartment, but soon after that I decided to buy a house, so we made plans to become roommates when the house was finished! She came along to help at the design center when I bought the house and we had fun imagining dinner parties and game nights once the house was done.

Last month she moved in, and I'm so happy to have her around! I've gained a best friend back into my daily life and I am loving the chance to spend more time together! Stay tuned for many more posts about our roommate adventures!

2 comments:

jennifer's junipers said...

YAY I was waiting my post. I'm glad we live together too. We have fun! I love you friend!

Elyse said...

What nice little tribute :) Thanks for adding me in! I miss you guys and maybe some day will get to live closer!