Monday, June 28, 2010

Happy Birthday to my Momma!

Yesterday was my mom's birthday, and while I won't spill her age I will dish about the cake I made her! I had been excited to try out a certain cake idea I'd seen recently on Whisk Kid's blog, so when my mom called and asked if I 'd make her birthday cake I knew just what I wanted to do! One problem...she wanted white cake, white icing, and pink and green decorations. Not exactly what I had in mind, but I pulled it off, creating an outer layer of her requested designs with a special surprise waiting on the inside!!!
Since mom's birthday is the 27th, we did 2 and 7 candles on the cake which she blew out in one easy breath! Thanks to Aunt Martha for those candles, I'd been waiting for just the right cake to put them on, and I think they were perfect for this occasion! Now for the cutting....
She was so surprised when I cut into it revealing 6 vibrant colors of the rainbow!!! Luckily it tasted as good as it looked, but we all joked we needed insulin shots after eating 6 layers of cake and 6 layers of icing! Glad you liked it mom, you deserve something special! Thanks for trusting me with your birthday cake!
If you want to make your own rainbow cake, check out this video when Whisk Kid blogger Kaitlin Flannery appeared on Martha Stewart's show to make the cake! The recipe is on the blog, and the video has some great tips on how to make it work! Happy baking!!!


Happy Birthday Mom!

1 comment:

Jill G. said...

Very cute! And I'm super impressed with your icing-writing ability...your letters were all so neat!