Thursday, February 11, 2010

Workiversary and Supermarket Sweep

Last week on February 2, 2010 I celebrated my third workiversary! I had almost forgotten the occasion but my kind boss sent me an e-card to thank me for the work I do, saying the department wouldn't be the same without me, compliment, compliment, compliment. It was sweet. As I've done on workiversaries past I called my parents to schedule a celebration dinner. I've informed them that until I'm married they're the lucky chosen who are obligated to celebrate these sorts of occasions with me. They're kind to play along.
So we decided on meeting at 'the new golf course' aka Chili's a few days later to celebrate. Fast forward to the day of our scheduled celebratory dinner and I'm having a terrible day at work. I met the fam at Chili's to find that their entire menu has changed which sadly took away some of my favorite items (no cobb salad, no kickin jack nachos, a totally different turkey sandwich!) and all of the sudden we're starting to see signs of whiny Sarah emerge at our table. I managed to enjoy some mini tacos, got my day's frustrations out as we stuffed our faces and perked up pretty quickly when my dad offered to buy dessert! By the time the check came I had thoroughly enjoyed myself and was once again excited about the workiversary!
We were about to call it a night when mom whipped out her grocery list asking dad if they could 'just stop by HEB for a few things' on her list. Somehow before I knew it we were in full out planning mode for one of the best grocery store games ever invented. Yes, that's right...we were going to split up the list and play Supermarket Sweep. If you were neglected as a child and didn't ever know this game show go to Google now and figure it out for yourself.
For those of you who know what I'm talking about, let's get to it with a recap of how the game went down.
We agreed all players had to have a cart, and must start at the same entrance of the store.
Dad, Brad and I all raced (and I mean raced) to the back of the store to get our items, while mom stuck around produce to start her list. I may have accidentally hit Dad in the achilles with my cart (an accident, I swear!!) which resulted in a minor limp for the rest of his game.
I raced across the back of the store like a woman on a mission! Cheese, Pepperoni, Eggs, & Buttermilk. I knew the store like the back of my hand and was confident in my ability to take the others! So confident I even stopped to take pictures of each of my opponents when I passed them in route! Cocky, I know...

Above is Brad mid stride down the frozen foods aisle, and below we have mom in full length furry hooded coat hunting down an assortment of Ziploc bags.
Finally I grabbed my last item and headed for the cash register! My heart was pounding with the thrilling thought of the win, and when I reached the front I realized I had achieved my dream! I WAS FIRST!!! And there was no one at the front to congratulate me. This was when I realized that we weren't on the TV show version of Supermarket Sweep, and I probably just embarrased myself and my family racing through the store like a fool on a mission. Oh well, I WON!! Brad showed up shortly after me, with Dad trailing in third and mom coming in a close fourth. It was a good game, excellent effort by all players and I think it may have been my favorite part of the entire workiversary celebration evening. If you've never played this game, quickly find a group of family members or friends and let the games begin! Here's one last shot of the contenders lined up at the finish. Way to go family!

4 comments:

Karo said...

If you notice, I had MUCH more than everyone else in my cart. No wonder I came in last. Ha! That was so much fun. I got lots of crazy stares as I raced through the store. I guess a woman my age isn't usually running through the grocery store. I actually told one family I was part of a contest. They seemed to be looking around for cameras as I flew past. :)

The Rowe Crew said...

That is HILARIOUS!! I can't wait until my kiddos are old enough to play along. Of course, Em might think she could do it now ;). Happy workiversary to you!!!!

the G Rowes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the G Rowes said...

I am CRACKING up!!! Thanks for a good ab workout!! Happy 3 years too!!! OH, and I went to Chili's today too saw the menu and wanted to gasp to the server "how could you?!?"