Friday, January 1, 2010

New Years Eve Resolution Run 5K

This year on New Years Eve I completed my first ever race! A friend of mine from work had told me about a 5k race that would take place on New Years Eve, starting at midnight! I thought there was no better way to start my new year than doing something healthy, and felt even more excited when I learned proceeds from the race went to Mothers Against Drunk Driving! So, I recruited a few friends from church and we signed up for our first race!

Above is me with Lisa, and below is Janie and Jennifer. It was really windy and absolutely freezing outside so we huddled together as we counted down to our midnight start time!
Here's my friend from work, Claudia. Her son in law organized the race and she was the volunteer nurse at out first mile water/aid station. It was nice to see her smiling face at mile 1 and again at the finish line!

Here we are after the race, we had a great time and pushed ourselves pretty hard. Our goal is to completely run the next 5k we do, which we're aiming for in March/April. It's nice to have a group to train with and we're looking forward to trying the Couch to 5k program.

AfterAfter the race we headed home, had protein shakes and enjoyed warm showers. Janie and Lisa spent the night, so we stayed up watching a marathon of Glee episodes then slept in Friday morning! We got these fun race shirts that glow in the dark and are super soft! I really enjoyed my first race and hope to be ready for my next one soon, maybe some of you will come cheer us on!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess my brain was fried from Christmas, because it didn't even occur to me to come cheer you on. I'm SO sorry. And I would have really enjoyed it, too. Next time say something to jar my brain into action! I'm really proud of you and your friends. Just gimme a chance to feel that soft t-shirt and I may want to run (walk) in it next year. Mom

the G Rowes said...

We are SOOO proud of you, what a way to bring in the new year!!!! Go Aunt Sarah!!!