Monday, January 5, 2009

5 Stars for the Radio City Christmas Spectacular!


Sunday I had the chance to see the Radio City Christmas Spectacular tour in Houston with some friends from work. I was really excited since I had never seen the Rockettes perform and they are the stars of the show, so we snatched some awesome seats thanks to a Memorial Hermann discount, and headed to the Toyota Center for the 4 PM show. I didn't really know what to expect other than a bunch of high kicks, a flying Santa, and maybe some good music, so I was in for a treat! I HIGHLY encourage everyone to see this show next year if it comes to you, or if you can get to it in NYC, it was amazing!!! The Rockettes started out as reindeers in their first number, complete with lit up antlers and red noses! The show had an awesome band, OF COURSE, it's the Radio City orchestra for crying out loud! Singers were good, and the acting was pretty good for the most part. I was really impressed by the little ballerina girl in the show, and have to admit that Santa got on my nerves. The actor played him well, but I can only take so many ho ho ho's...Santa hosts the show and goes through all his favorite things about Christmas, from a tap routine the Rockettes do through the 12 Days of Christmas, to a pretty impressive ice skating duo, to an incredibly impressive March of the Wooden Soldiers, also starring...the Rockettes. I don't know how to post videos, but go search you tube for a  video of this awesome number where they fall domino style. I can't imagine how strong these girls are, they must be supporting the weight of 4 or 5 girls ahead of them, and they do it so precisely! Everything the Rockettes do is sharp, together, and beautiful, they are really very impressive talented dancers and I secretly dreamed of being one as I watched them do each routine. They do WAY more than impressively perfect high kicks, and they show you throughout the show that they are skilled in tap, ballet, jazz, and many more styles of dance! I cannot say enough about how wonderful they are! It also helps that they have really shiny pretty costumes!
The thing that most impressed me during the hour and a half show was that they ended it with the Christmas story, with a narrator reading the entire story from Caesar Augustus taxing the land, to Mary and Joseph trekking to Bethlehem, Jesus being born a King and detailed explanations of who the wise men were and why they brought the gifts that they did. I had already enjoyed hearing them say Christmas so often throughout the show considering the world has become so lame and eliminated that word from our November/December vocabulary. Yes, it is the holiday season, but the reason we have a holiday is because of CHRISTmas!! So, extra gold stars for the Radio City Spectacular for reminding all of it's viewers why we celebrate this time of year. This was a really cool set to watch as well, including a live donkey, two live camels, and lots of wise men and shepherds in astounding costumes! They did it and did it well!
So, if you get the chance, do not miss this show!

No comments: