Monday, September 15, 2008

Hurricanes Stink....Literally

This is the port-a-potty next to my house, and it smells.
Anyhow, I survived my first hurricane...and it was crazy! I really lucked out that
there was no real damage at my home, and felt safe during the whole storm. Staying in our hospital for 36 hours really gave me some perspective on how it must feel to be a patient. I was so impressed with out hospital's disaster plan and how positive everyone was despite serious lack of sleep. Tis true that what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, and I think that in my workplace we're all a stronger team now that we've spent some good lockdown time together. On to the pictorial.

The sky about 8 hours before the storm hit. It was such a gorgeous sunset!
We went outside a couple times during the storm to check out the wind speeds. This was at about 7 pm and it was super windy. The next time we went out at 4 am it was insane! That was about the time the eye of the storm was going over Houston. Day 2 at work with one of my fave co-workers Claudia! The hurricane did my hair...
Tree totally uprooted in Fulshear. Minor flooding between Katy and Fulshear.

Tree damage from the tornado that went behind mom and dad's house...

No "Moore's"....Guess it's time to put up the sign that says "Jimmy's"! Above: Gas stations are closed in Houston, most of them ran out of gas, and some of them just don't have power. Below: trees on my street. Mine stayed up but one was leaning a tad bit. Minor damage to my fence as well...I lucked out! Neighbors had missing fences, pieces of siding torn off and trees completely uprooted.
Some dogs VERY happy to see me after spending the weekend at a kennel. Baths were definately a necessity when they got home.
All in all it wasn't a terrible experience, but we are all still scrambling to help neighbors and family members who don't have power or water. Work is crazy because the ER's are flooded with people who can't get into doctors offices and I'm kind of exhausted from being here so much the past few days. However I hear a baby crying so I'm off......

1 comment:

Brad said...

simply awesome.... i had not seen those pictures yet. i like the Moore's sign. manna looks pretty mad about that bath though.....